Friday, August 22, 2008

Driving Is Fun

I think this picture was taking just outside of Grand Junction, Co on the second leg of the drive back to California. So I left Madison on Wednesday at 6:30 am to get to Boulder at a decent time, no stopping in Omaha this time, after being on the road for a month I just wanted to make good time and get home.
The drive went well, no problems with the Touareg or the trailer and before I knew it I was in Boulder by 9:30 pm, not a bad days driving. The sunset in Colorado was stunning, it was the first time I could see the silhouette of the Rockies from the sun setting behind them from about 100 miles away, with the redish-orange sky it was awesome. I got to Tony's place and talked with him and his twin Tom while watching the olympics and then went to bed, crashed hard. I thought about staying for the weekend, but the need to get home was too great and started the second leg of the drive at 6 am. 
I was fortunate that there wasn't much traffic at all getting out of Boulder and even on I 70 it was wide open so I was making great time. Before I knew it I was in Utah and then the short stint in AZ before getting into Nevada. That's when the wind kicked up and with the trailer acting as a huge air dam the gas mileage was getting slaughtered, along with the trailer. The right front corner is coming off, again. I had it replaced awhile ago, guess they didn't do a good job. It held on though, with me trying to fix it during gas ups. I hit Vegas and thought I was screwed, rush hour, but thankfully, it went smooth and I was out of there in a half and hour.
I then cruised into California and kept pushing feeling refreshed to be back in my new home state, I eventually made it into SLO at about 12:30am, long drive, but worth it. I got a good night sleep, woke up got my things situated and then went for a ride by the ocean. Not bad.

No comments: