Saturday, November 20, 2010

Base

So lucky for me the rain broke this morning so today I started up my base miles for the year. I'm taking a slow approach to this, only 1.5 hours today, keeping the heart rate around 70%. I haven't really had myself on a structured plan in some time and I noticed some of the bad habits I got from riding with people that just want to try to drop you all the time. I find myself tuning out and just start mashing the pedals and then catch myself and chill out a bit.
Some new things I'm trying out are the Garmin 500 and a set of Quarq cranks. The power meter on the crank makes perfect sense, you don't have to worry about swapping wheels for racing or training. It's always there ready to go. So training with power is new for me. I used to train with heart rate only, but having all this tech is cool and hopefully I won't get fixated on numbers and lose sight of the goal here.
It's funny starting up base miles when everyone else that I know is winding their seasons down and starting to nestle in for the winter. I guess that's the Left Coast for ya, everything is completely different out here. But reading others blogs of the racing this year has me pumped up to get out there and give a real go this time around. Still getting my head straightened out, but everything is coming along. Until next time.

No comments: